January 26, 2012

Moving Forward

This last bout of Chemo was the hardest without a doubt!  My hangover lasted longer and was way worse than any other and to top it off I developed a very nice chesty cough and a fever that held on for almost six days! 

Now...I am feeling better!

And with that I am ready to jump of this train of life that I seem to have been sailing by on for the last 26 years.  Lets start slow ok!

Dave leaves back to Fort Mac tomorrow and with that I am gonna give myself a couple of rules to live by.  Something to get me started back in every  day life!

1)  I am going to start setting my alarm every morning and getting back to a normal routine.  Enough sleeping until noon!

2)  I am going to start enjoying some exercises and taking the dogs out for a walk every day!  I don't know how far I will be able to go, but I can go a little farther every day in hopes of doing the Weekend to End Breast Cancer Walk soon.

3)  Mentally - I joined a support group with six women in it which my doctor referred me to, I go every Monday and my first time was last Monday, it feels good to be able to talk to other women in my situation, but still have yet to find women of my age to talk to.

Also mentally, today I met with Dr. Kanashiro (my surgeon) again for a follow up to have my other breast removed and to begin the Reconstruction phase, I will keep you up on this but at this point I have chosen to have implants. 

I have also started reading a book called picking up the pieces, which I am absolutely loving!  There are a lot of quotations in there from real life survivors and it is very inspiring, I am going to dedicate more time to this book in the next couple weeks.

I think for right now, those three goals to focus on are quite a bit and just to get back into every day life if really hard, so here's to that!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Beige,

    You mentioned women your own age regarding support, so I really urge you to contact Rethink. They are situated in Toronto, BUT, have these monthly meet-ups of young breast cancer survivors called Live Laugh Learn. I went to my first in Ottawa last weekend and it was great (the meeting is held at Lulu lemon, which is a nice change.)

    They have a LiveLaughLearn in Calgary, and while that might be a bit far from Edmonton . . .it's not as far as Toronto.

    Also, they can match you with a young woman who has been through the same battle as you, so you might want to do that if you feel the need to have some more person, one-on-one support.

    Check them out - I think it's a fab organization.

    http://rethinkbreastcancer.com/support-programs/live-laugh-learn/

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete