January 10, 2012

A few thoughts on Cancer

So today on the local news they were talking about a study to find the casue of cancer, apparently this will be the largest study they have done to date and they are looking for people between 35-50 who have never had cancer to partake in this study.  Which got me thinking about my cancer.  At 26 years old and being a triple negative we can certainly rule a few things out so I am not ER/PR or HER2 positive which leaves all medical professionals guessing why exactly I; a 26 year old healthy female have been diagnosed with Breast Cancer, lastly they will test for a genetic mutation called BRCA these results take a year to get back and should they come back I will have a high chance of developing ovarian cancer through my lifetime.

So...can I blame myself for anything? 

  • Did I develop breast cancer because of the 13 years that I smoked?  (yes I started smoking at 13). 
  • Did I develop breast cancer because I lived my whole life overweight until I was 24?
  • Did I develop breast cancer because I induldged in alchol as recent studies show is a factor in breast cancer?

If any of you out there are going through this with me, please stop asking yourself these questions!  I know it is natural to question these things and try to place blame on someone or something but you need to focus on more important questions right now.

  • What can I do to get better?
  • How can I prevent a recurrence?
  • Why did this happen to me and how can I help others in my situation?
  • What can I do in the future to make a differnce?

My answer to this is simple, it is a transition but at this time if I can help inspire others through writing I am accomplishing one of the tasks I have set out to do. 

My next steps I  at this time.

- Make appointment with my surgeon to have my second breast removed and discuss reconstruction.
- Wait three years and begin trying to have children, if we are successful - Jump with joy!
- After children if I am BRCA positive I will choose to have a hysterectomy.

I have quit smoking, I live a healthy lifestyle, I have eliminated toxic people from my life, I smile and laugh daily (which I beleive is the best medicine of all!) and I am doing all I can do medically to remain cancer free.

No comments:

Post a Comment